Thursday, November 10, 2011

The One-Minute Rule

Most who know me understand that I have a knack for a few things that include organization, timeliness and kindess. The first two often result in an inner battle, especially when it comes to checking items off my to-do list and racing to my destinations. This summer, I read the book The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin. For those of you who are looking for an easy and yet, self-motivating book, I'd encourage you to pick it up.

One of the things Rubin encourages her readers to do is "observe the one-minute rule". Thereby, if you can accomplish any task in under a minute, you might as well take the time to do it. While I started to focus on this idea during the summer by organizing my room before bedtime, I've quickly fallen away from the habit. Instead, I'm worried about getting articles done on deadline, getting a few hours asleep and making sure my coffeepot is set for the early wake up call. Lately, I open the door to my room and see sweaters and boots that have been thrown across my bed, stacks of envelopes on my dresser and even water bottles collecting on my night stand. Please note: I am a self proclaimed "neat freak" so this is VERY out of the ordinary.

Regardless, I've decided that next week, when I return from a weekend in Phoenix, I'll focus on making sure I adhere to the one-minute rule. In all honesty, I could get so much more done if I'd commit to this. Those letters could be opened and placed in a drawer and the water bottles could be refilled or disposed. Instead of racing off to a meeting, just to arrive 10 minutes early, I could arrive two minutes later, but feeling more accomplished.

You'll notice as I write that I'm simply striving to find the balance in life. I want to find that "kalos kai agathos"- the balance between good and beautiful- that Elizabeth Gilbert talks about in her book, Eat, Pray, Love.

So as I attempt to find life's harmony, will you join me in taking on the one-minute promise for next week?

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are continuously looking for ways to better yourself. So inspirational.

    ReplyDelete