Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hitting the Pavement: Day 1

Yesterday I hit the pavement! It's been just over six months since my physician told me to take an extended break from running. If you've been reading for a while, you'll remember that I was not able to compete in the Mount Lemon Half Marathon in April because of this injury, which came about from overuse.

Although I've been sick, my cough finally subsided a few days ago. I figured yesterday was the first day to lace up my shoes and give it a try, since we had an evening work event and I didn't have to be in the office until late. I was very nervous and worried that I'd make it a mile and end up walking home. Regardless, I laced up my Mizunos, started up my Garmin, readied my iPod shuffle and was off!

While it was not easy,  I was still able to keep my regular pace! Yes, I did sound like I could barely breathe, but I made it. Woohoo! And even better news, I haven't felt any pain in the side of my knee. Praise God!

As long as future runs go similiarly, I should be able to run in my fifth P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in January. I made this mental promise to myself that I'd run this race each year, until I was no longer able to run.... So cross your fingers for me! I'm not so sure Mike will be running with me this year like last year, but I love the Chang's race experience so much! Also, another instructor from Pure Barre is planning to run it, so I'm hoping we can be race buddies! If you'll remember, I am a social runner rather than a hardcore competitor.... Although I do have some edge!

I hope I'll be able to give positive running updates within the next week or so! Each time, I'm just going to have to tell myself...



HAPPY HUMP DAY! XO

4 comments:

  1. running partner are a great motivator! yay for getting back into running, hopefully no more injuries

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL! I feel this post SO MUCH. Does it not feel great to start your running back up!? I mean, I love it MORE after it's over ;) haha. I found the longer I go, the better I start to feel. The first 3 miles are not fun. Btw, I am your newest follower! ;) Thank you so much for all the sweet things you said on my blog today! Can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! That's great that you can run again!

    ReplyDelete