Friday, December 2, 2011

Elbow Elbow, Wrist Wrist

By reading the title, most of you will probably can predict the topic of this post. If you Google this phrase you'll find various sites explaining the appropriate way to wave if you're elected as a president or queen. But what does this have to do with me? I'm certainly not the next ruler of a country...

This Saturday I'll be taking part the in the APS Electric Light Parade in Phoenix. I'll have the opportunity to ride in a carriage, bundled from the waist down in blankets, while trying to remain composed and elegant in by evening gown dress. Why would I be wearing an evening gown dress in 45-degree weather? Well...

A few months ago I was selected to represent an organization that holds many statewide events, bringing nearly 3 million out-of-state visitors to Arizona. Until I'm done acting as a spokeswoman, I'll refrain from using my title or the name of the organization. But, being selected has been a once in a lifetime opportunity and I've met some of the most phenomenal people. So THIS, as vague as I've left it, is why I'll be freezing, smiling and wearing a crown, while on a carriage in the light parade.

Although the tone of my writing may not portray my excitement, I really am thrilled to be a part of this amazing festival of lights. When I was younger, I participated with my dance team in this parade. We had bright pom poms and event taped battery operated lights onto our bodies. To this day, I can still remember some of the dances we did will marching to Christmas songs.

But here's the title of this post comes into play. Although I am used to dancing down the streets, this year I must master the appropriate wave. The first thing many of my friends said to me, when they found out I was named "queen" of this organization for the 2011-2012 year, was that I had to learn to wave correctly. This was the last thing on my list!


I'm typically the girl who gets so excited to see my friends that I quickly wave my hand from left to right at lightening speed. But, I've been told this isn't the correct queen etiquette. I guess I'll have to watch The Princess Diaries a couple times to try and master the technique. Regardless of whether or not I become a waving pro, I'm excited to be a part of an event that brings so much holiday cheer to the Valley of the Sun. And guess what- we even got some winter weather last night that will bring a few chilly days, making it seem like it's actually Christmas time!

Stay tuned for fun holiday pictures from the parade and I'll make sure to let you know how the waving goes! If you're in the Phoenix area, definitely get catch holiday fever and come to the parade route. It should be an amazing time.

Happy Friday & happy 20th birthday to my wonderful twin brothers!

2 comments: